Glen Goffin Photography

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

62 The Non-Adventures of a Motorized Onion

Don't ask me what that title means. I have no idea. Do you see how low I have to sink to get your attention (the sound of pitiful sobbing). I guess what's scarier is that my warped mind somehow associates this blog with motorized onions. Hide your children.

One of my fave things to do has become taking random drives around the county I live in (Bucks County, PA). I grab my camera bag and my GPS and just start driving down every little dirt road I can find. The narrower, dirtier and less traveled the road ... the better! Oh, my poor poor Civic ;(

Last weekend my random drive hit upon a little hilltop airstrip - Van Sant Community Airport. They had lined up a bunch of historic biplanes along the grass strip and were taking off whenever they felt like it. Gliders were getting launched and landing there too. Not sure how they avoided hitting each other. I think they might've been using CB's or something. "Breaker, breaker ... I've got snoopy on a wire at 15:30".

Folks had come out with their doggies and their picnic baskets spending an afternoon just watching the biplanes fly in and out. There was also a lineup of historic cars
that get parked along the strip, too. It felt like I had stepped back into time. It was totally enchanting!

The shots above are from a Model-T Ford and a Triumph TR-3.

Here's a Studebaker gas cap.

Ok, enough of my non-adventures. The only point here (if you want to call it that) is that there is nothing so fun as random driving. Get a GPS, close your eyes and drive somewhere ... anywhere. Maybe you'll drive right through a time portal ... like I did.

Peace,

Glen

Ok, so you're saying to yourself, "Come-on! You mean you didn't post a single picture of an airplane after all that rambling on!?" Fine ... here you go ...

4 comments:

Angel Corrochano said...

Some spectacular, elegant details and with a careful and fabulous composition

Greetings

beth said...

I do that random driving all the time....and love every moment of it and being able to push a button that says "home" when I'm all done playing....

now if only it would drive me home so I could take a nap :)

J. L. T. said...

Wonderful details and pre-process! Love the old ones... Sunny greetings

Debra Trean said...

these are amazing!!!!