Glen Goffin Photography

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

31 Google Adsense Ads


I love the fact that a regular Joe like me can effectively become his own publisher with all the help that Google has provided. I'm such a novice though! If you're a novice too then join me and we'll try to navigate our way through this. If nothing else, it will be comical ... like ... um ... ordering a cheesesteak with Swiss. Sorry, that's a Philadelphia inside joke:) Well, you know what I mean.

On good blogs, there are almost always banner ads posted which just seems natural to me. I mean come-on, those are real websites. Stinky Fish is like an embarrassing amusement. The kind of site you have to ALT-TAB from the screen when anyone walks past. And for the number of times my faithful readers (my wife and my mom ... yeah, that's them up there) read this site, advertising isn't worth the electrons it would take to paint the pixels.

But even as I write this post, Google has strategically enticed me by placing the word 'monetize' directly in front of my eyes - just inches above this very text. Monetize ... yes yes yes ... (the sound of little splishes here as my drool-plets hit the keyboard). I can hardly type anymore as my eyes are fixated on that word. It must be the key to complete financial freedom ... to a vacation home in Ocean City ... to a Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 ... to an Alien Bees lighting rig ... yes, yes ... I'm certain of it!! Of course, I was certain that The Apprentice wouldn't last a whole season :(

If you select that tab, it brings you to the Google Adsense setup screen. There appear to be two kinds of advertising plans that Google provides - pay-per-thousand-impressions (CPM) or pay-per-click. WHAT!?! (or as my wife would say, 'wuut!?!') A THOUSAND IMPRESSIONS!?! I'm already discouraged. Hmmm ... mom, I have a really big favor to ask ... :-]] If a picture is worth a thousand words, is it also worth a thousand impressions!?! Not mine, that's for sure.

So I typed in the account setup stuff and ... kabang!!! I got an error.

More in the next post. When I figure out what to do and proceed on my way to making millions of dollars in the phoblography (you heard it here first) and web publishing business.

Peace,
Glen

No comments: